lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 release.

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2.7 release.
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:55:35 -0500 (EST)

  From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>

  >Al Gilman wrote:
  >
  >> I would like to see the H)elp files distributed with 2.7 re-formatted a
  >> little to make them more speech-friendly.
                         ^^^^

        I had made the FM help file set net accessible *primarily* with
  Al in mind.  I see that Scott has further expanded the access to them
  via http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/   Have you even looked at them yet,
  Al?  Have you?!?!?

Yes, thank you.  I have not been keeping up with your Help files by
download, so I think this is very valuable.

Did you make a separate zip of them?  I thought you had done that
for my benefit and I searched all over and didn't find them.
I must have misunderstood "and then I made another zip..."

        The implication that Lynx development during the past three years
  has not had a "policy commitment" to helping meet needs of the blind is
  preposterous.  There's no other word for it -- preposterous!!

There were two parts to my suggestion.  OK, your heart is in the
right place.  Why not follow through and let us clean up the Help
file formatting.  The top-level page doesn't make a reasonable
accomodation.  It list multiple acronyms as links on one line.
Acronyms are a real barrier for the speech accessor, and multiple
links on a line is not so hot.  Both of these impediments could
be removed without materially degrading the service to sighted
users.

Have you read the guidelines to merit a ribbon?  Do you think
that page passes?  Get real, man!

I have repeatedly pointed out to the blind users I know that you
have over and over again gone out of your way to facilitate use
by the blind and visually impaired.

        Burnout, sigh...  I need more than a vacation!  I need to
  NOT_DEFINE myself to an INN.  :) :) :) ;(

Get a grip.  Let the product go through an open, objective
evaluation on the way to release.

--
Al Gilman
;