lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV suggestion for post lynx 2.7 development

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV suggestion for post lynx 2.7 development
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:12:06 -0500

>One of the hopes is that with the steady rise in the number of HTTP 1.1
>servers this problem will resolve itself as servers begin to return 303,
>i.e. "See other".  Meanwhile Lynx does the right thing and gives its users
>the ability to make an informed choice if they wish to.  If it didn't do
>the right thing, my guess is that novice users would remain novices and
>we'd see a proliferation of similar conveniences, conveniences might just
>kill the web and its larger promise as a world-wide, platform independent
>publishing medium.

I am sorry, but how many 'novice users', reading that lynx prompt, can
figure out that it means to run off and read HTTP 1.1 documentation for
the various server return codes, realize the problem is that the wrong code
has been issued, and that they need to type 'whatever' to continue?

I suspect the number is close to 0.

In fact, I doubt many 'expert users' have done this.

Most users see a new prompt where one didn't exist before, scratch their
head, or curse, perhaps call or send email to someone complaining, and
then pick the first answer or the default answer and go on.
;