lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV HTML Form Test

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HTML Form Test
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:35:04 -0500 (EST)

Andrew Kuchling <address@hidden> wrote:
>> However, the IEFT draft says the using "; $foo=blah" for the extensions,
>> instead of just "; foo=blah" (i.e., '$' prefixes for each name in the
>> extended name=value pairs), makes them backward compatible for Netscape.
>> Sigh...
>
>       The draft says that browsers should always include the $Path
>and $Domain attributes, but some cookie parsers break on the extra
>information; the one we use here at Magnet did, for one, and so does
>the example at <URL:http://www.illuminatus.com/cookie>, which was
>pointed out by Roger Hill (thanks, Roger!).  So, though one should
>complain to people with broken cookie CGIs, another course might be to
>suppress the output of those attributes if it's a historical cookie
>(the version field is be zero).  I've included a patch below that does
>this.

        Yes, I had made that change this morning, not quite as in your
patch, but with the equivalent result.  A Version 1 (or greater,
someday 8-) cookie will be sent as e.g.:

        Cookie: $Version=1; valid=certainly; $Path=/; $Domain=.ietf.org

Otherwise, the cookie is simply sent as, e.g.:

        Cookie: brain_dead_euphemism=historical

>       Notice that the Cyberdog browser is also reported as being in
>error at the research.digital.com site, and Cyberdog seems to
>implement the IETF draft, too.  So hopefully sites that use cookies
>will soon make their code more robust as the draft becomes more widely
>implemented.

        Let's hope so...

        I'm still playing around with some other stuff, so I won't be
zipping an update until later today or tomorrow.

                                Fote