lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV How to force Lynx to save?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to force Lynx to save?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:03:23 -0800

> From address@hidden Wed Jan 15 20:42:18 1997
> From: Al Gilman <address@hidden>
>
>   From: address@hidden
>
>   Hi, I have problem in downloading a file from WWW server. I cannot use the
>   'D' option since the file is created automatically by 'clicking' an INPUT
>   field, ie it has to be reloaded after a certain time.
>
> If you d)ownload it from its listing in the history page (usually
> bound to BACKSPACE) does it try to uncompress it?  Going by way
> of the history page will turn the reply to your form submission
> into a d)ownload-able reference.

About the history page, and "trick" uses of it: for consistency,
if for nothing else, it can be a problem that the "a" (add to
bookmark file) command doesn't work AT ALL for the history page.

Fine about not working for the history page ITSELF, but it sure
would be nice if you could bookmark via LINK.

I mean, you're browsing around, come to some index-page,
and link again off that, and at maybe a link-depth/distance
of three from THAT you decide, "yeah, pretty neat index
page, I should bookmark it."

Would be nice if I indeed COULD do it.

Doesn't seem like it'd take much code (this from not even
seeing the code (smiley needed here!)) to simply remember that
it IS the history page (which is already known because it
barfs on "a"), and disallow the a'ing just the page itself.

The trick of simply going-to that history-page-listed index-page
I want to bookmark by just going to it sure must be
non-intuitive, because even though I dreamed it up myself
a few weeks ago (just as everyone else has at one time or another),
I forget it last night when I wanted to bookmark something
down within that history stack.

Besides, more than a level or two down, and it is no longer
in the cache, and has to be re-downloaded, SOLELY so you can
bookmark it...

Would be easier on the user if you could bookmark a link on
the history page, too.

;
;