lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV mail header editing verboten?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV mail header editing verboten?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:32:56 -0500 (EST)

From: address@hidden (Paul Gilmartin)
>> Incidentally, the personal name and email address are usually
>> enocded like this:
>>
>> From: "Personal name" <address@hidden> [punctuation added -- gil]
>> From: address@hidden (Personal name)
>>
>Yah.  I'd certainly prefer that to the manifestly bogus
>"X-Personal_Name: Sender's Name" header currently generated.
>And it would be much friendlier to even moderately smart
>MUA viewers which display the personal name if it exists
>in the From: header, but have no understanding of any X-
>header.

        Leave the personal name string blank at the prompt, and
configure your personal mail address as:

        address@hidden (Paul Gilmartin)

        The personal name prompt is just a backup if you didn't include
it as a comment in your personal mail address, and since everthing is
user entered, trying to combine it with the personal mail address,
together with checks of whether one is already there, and whether it's
a single address to which a personal name comment can validly be
appended, etc., has low probability of being reliable, so it's treated
simply as an X- header backup.  A really bright, sophistocated, and
highly experienced Lynx user such as yourself should by now have
included it in his/her personal mail address. :) :) :)

                                Fote