lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: HTML version support under Lynx

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: HTML version support under Lynx
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 18:08:07 -0500 (EST)

  From: "Greg Chapman" <address@hidden>
  Subject: HTML version support under Lynx

  I wanted to find an answer rather quickly and am failing at it. In my
  crusade to make webmasters aware of the difficulties some browsers have
  with images and the needs of some users, I ask them to write text only
  pages. The uniform request from these webmasters is what version of HTML is
  fully supported by Lynx. Are there any other de facto standards supported?
  Special tags?

The NewsPost quoted at the end, here, gives a pretty good summary
of what the webmasters should pay attention to.  There is no HTML
version, DTD, or tag-type list that will guarantee that a page
looks tolerable in Lynx, any more than there is for Netscape or
InternetExplorer.

I would suggest that you not ask for text-only pages; IMHO it is
more win-win for the page authors to ensure that the text-only
display of the page tell a coherent story, and the right story.

One problem is that there is plenty of documentation giving good
advice in this department, but it is primarily honored in the
breach.  In the SMOP category, WebMasters can do something
about ensuring appropriate use of

        - USEMAP
        - ALT strings

independent of the original author.  In fact, if you really
want to do something for information accessibility, you would
write or cite example scripts that

        - Generate USEMAPs from ISMAP data.
        - Generate ALT strings from the <TITLE> strings of
        the pages pointed to by hrefs where images are used
        for link buttons.

In the areas of

        - Frames
        - Tables

One really has to get the original author, with the content
knowledge, involved in the test-and-fix cycle working through
the LynxMe viewer or some similar test facility.

--
Al Gilman