lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Need to know COUNTRY of links:

From: JOHNLIM
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Need to know COUNTRY of links:
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 96 23:25:00 +0800

David Woolley <address@hidden> wrote:

 > available. Last I heard, "mil", "gov", "edu", "org", "int", "net", and
 > "com" were all US-based, with everyone else in the world using a 2-digit
 Da> These are registered in the US, but int is explicitly for
 Da> international organisations, net is used throughout the world, and com
 Da> is widely used. They also tell you about the organisational structure
 Da> of the originators organisation, not its physical location.  A UK
 Da> company might well be .co.uk, but, if they understand domain names,
 Da> their Australian branch might well be part of the company.co.uk domain.
Yup, this is one of the practical uses of the DNS CNAME record ([c]anonical
NAME if I'm not mistaken), examples are the FreeBSD mirrors. They have
XX.freebsd.org where XX is the country code...

---
 John Lim Eng Hooi [CoSysOp, Cyber City BBS +603-7587400] * Lynx rules !
 Email address@hidden Web [http://www.cyberhq.net.my/johnlim]
 [ Headlines: "Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says" ]
;
;