lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Need to know COUNTRY of links:

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Need to know COUNTRY of links:
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:32:25 -0800

> From address@hidden Wed Dec 11 11:00:58 1996
> From: "Christopher R. Maden" <address@hidden>
> > When browsing the net, and am at an index page (lots of links going
> > out of it, to VAROUS far-off places too), I'd really like to know
> > WHERE they are to.
> >
> > I don't mean the full path name; just the COUNTRY, a TWO- CHARACTER
> > name.
>
> Great idea!  I've patched Lynx and magically enabled the patch on your
> system.  Switch to U)ser mode: Advanced to see the destination of the
> links, or use = on the link, and you will note that the destination
> contains the country code!  The code I've used is this:
>
> .fr = France
> .au = Australia
> .com,.gov,.net,.org,.edu,.mil,.us = U.S.A., usually
>
> -Chris

1: What I meant was the ability to add JUST the "extension" (I guess
    that's a fair description?), ie the .com or .fr, to each link --
    but NOT the ENTIRE address.  Just enough to give you a HINT (ie, .com
might be ambiguous)
   of what COUNTRY it is from.

2: Ok, I switched to "advanced", as you directed me to, and note
   NO DIFFERENCE in the way links are listed.

   Even if there WERE a difference, it wouldn't be what I wanted -- JUST
   the .com or .fr or .au, etc.

   And, no, I do NOT want to \ into raw html, nor
   do I want to hit =.  I just thought that the ".fr", etc, might be
   useful to LOTS of people, and "CHEAP" in number of characters used-up
   on screen....

3. Obvously, not "important" -- just a nice-to-do-someday idea,
   adding a bit of usefulness to display of a link.  As option.
;
;