lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynxprog restrictions?

From: Roger Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynxprog restrictions?
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 05:01:16 -0400 (GMT-0400)

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Roger Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
> >LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON:FALSE
> >LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE:TRUE
>
>       That's good.  It says that Lynx will only act on lynxexec
> or lynxprog URLs if they are links in file:/localhost/... documents.
>

> ># If LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINK_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE is TRUE, and no TRUSTED_EXEC
> ># rule is defined, it defaults to "file://localhost/" and any lynxexec
> ># or lynxprog command will be permitted if it was referenced with a URL
> ># beginning with that string.
> >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I do not understand this:
> >do this mean lynxprog:file://localhost/... ??
>

>       No, the execution link should just have the command following
> the scheme, e.g,  <A HREF="lynxprog:pine">mail</A>
> but that must be in a file obtained via a file://localhost URL.

AHAAAA!  NOW I understand...put this in lynx.cfg please. (Hiram, Fote?) Or
the FAQ. This one *really* had me stumped.

> >  If you wish to restrict the referencing.....
> >#       TRUSTED_EXEC:file://localhost/trusted/
> >#       TRUSTED_EXEC:http://www.wfbr.edu/trusted/
> >#
> >TRUSTED_EXEC:file://localhost/home/rhill/boats/
>
>       Your TRUSTED_EXEC rule is probably the reason, i.e.,
> the lynxexec or lynxprog links probably weren't in foo.html
> files in or under that subdirectory (except for jump files,
> which are always OK if "local e(X)ecution links" is ON).

The link was in an http://localhost/home/rhill/boats document.
I added TRUSTED_EXEC:http://localhost/home/rhill/boats/ to lynx.cfg, and
it STILL did not work.  But then the light dawned. The link document was
referenced as http://localhost/~rhill/boats/foo.html.

Adding TRUSTED_EXEC:http://localhost/~rhill/boats/

did the trick.

Thanks for explaining it so well, and apologies if I was being dense.