lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2.6 under IRIX with large tables

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2.6 under IRIX with large tables
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:13:14 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Mike Brudenell wrote:

> My sincere apologies for the day or two's silence ... we've been having
> severe load problems on our mail server, and myself and two colleagues
> have been running round in circles for the last two days gettings things
> prepared for a Big Shakeup tomorrow morning.  (Gulp!)

Good luck... Those are always fun... :)

> Following the comments about MAXLINKS I first tried running Lynx in a
> smaller window than I nromally use (47 lines) and found it worked just
> fine up to a window size of (memory fogs) around 20 lines.
>
> It begins to look as if the number of links on the screen is indeed the
> culprit!
>
> So I have recompiled Lynx with a larger value of MAXLINKS as suggested,
> and it now happily and sweetly loads the problem page:
>       http://www.york.ac.uk/ServerSupport/UsageStats/
>
> Thanks to your wonderful advice I now have a working version of Lynx I can
> release to our clamouring users.

I'm glad you got it working.  This problem just came to light in the last
several months.

> However this does tend to suggest that the additional code referred to in
> a separate message which was meant to make Lynx ignore links on a screen
> over and above MAXLINKS isn't working properly.
>
> If it would help track this down I can recompile Lynx again with the
> original (256) value of MAXLINKS and send a trace.  Please let me know if
> you would like me to do so.

If you wouldn't mind, it would be very helpful.  It may be that Fote fixed
in his recent modifications, but maybe not...  It's been my experience in
working with a variety of unices, that different ones handle errors
differently (i.e. strcmp with a null pointer on HPUX being ignored and
causing a coredump on Linux), so it may indeed be a problem that most OS's
are handling gracefully, but should really be fixed...

So, yes a trace log would be handy.  Thanks for the offer. :)