lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Please clarify...

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Please clarify...
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:02:16 +0000 (GMT)

Julian Rodriguez wrote:

> 3) Could Rob either update the stand-alone character patch so that it
> supports slang (like the composite+character patch does), or update the
> composite+character-patch so that it reflects the newest composite patch?

See, now that's what happens when you work late at night.  You forget things
like that.  *thwap*  I'll do it today...

> 4) I would like to know which patches are "canon," (I assume the composite
> patch is, although I thought the original purpose of the composite patch
> was to combine all the *bug fix* patches.)  Which patches are "bug-fix",
> which are developmental, and which are tweaks and enhancements?  For
> example, is the multi-bookmark support now part of the standard lynx code
> set (again assuming the composite patch is "canon"), or do I still need to
> go to Fillip's page?

My character styles patch probably comes under tweaks, although I consider
utterly required (otherwise I can't see what I'm doing half the time).

I've got my own thoughts about multi-bookmarks; I haven't used Fillip's
patch, but I'm working on a different (well, I *think* it's different ;-)
method which uses directories and files (and so can share much of the
dired code) like IE.

> 5) Is lynx26-rp still the de facto developmental version of lynx?  I saw
> Fote mention lynx26-kw for Klaus's character patch code, but as that
> hasn't surfaced publicly, I'm guessing Rob is still in charge.  Are
> *you* (I'm using Klaus' "you") gonna finish the tweaks of existing
> enhancements to the lynx code (character styles, multi-bookmarks, snews,
> etc.) and call it lynx2-7?

Lynx2.6-u is probably the de facto version atm, since Hiram has done more
work on the core code and integration of patches than I've had time to.
On the other hand, Lynx2.6-rpu is the one with character styles, proto-class
support for styles, an `enhanced' parser (coming rsn) and other tweaks
(like mailto: links being seperately colourable, and a command line option
to put the URL of the current page on the top line instead of the title of
the page).

Character styles are coming along nicely.  I've almost got class support
working (so you can say STYLE:ul.important:bold:red:yellow and it'll work
for <ul class=important>) but that needs an enhancement to the parsing,
my initial design of which will be magically posted to the list in about
10 minutes from now.

> 6) Assuming lynx2-7 appears, will Fote return from his vacation to lead
> the next developmental code?

Don't know, ask Fote...  ;-)
--
Rob Partington / address@hidden / address@hidden