lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx2-6 compile error on Solaris2.4

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx2-6 compile error on Solaris2.4
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 22:47:27 +0100 (MET)

dave wotton wrote:
> Linking and creating Lynx executable
[...]
> Undefined\011\011\011first referenced
>  symbol  \011\011\011    in file
> index                               LYEdit.o
> rindex                              LYShowInfo.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to lynx

This shouldn't happen. Functions index() and rindex() exist on SunOS 4.x.x,
but on SunOS 5.x (which people usually call Solaris) they don't exist.
You have strchr() and strrchr() instead. It looks as if something's wrong
with the Makefile. I may be wrong, of course, since I don't have Lynx source
at hand.

Anyway, until it's fixed (if fixing is needed), you could:
a) change all occurances of index and rindex with strchr and strrchr or
b) write them yourself, like this, for example

file: src/bugsupport.c

char *index(char *s, int c)
{
   return strchr(s, c);
}

char *rindex(char *s, int c)
{
   return strrchr(s, c)
}

Compile with gcc -c bugsupport.c and you'll get bugsupport.o
Now edit the Makefile and put bugsupport.o along with all other .o files.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden
address@hidden