lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV colored lynx

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV colored lynx
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 00:00:44 +0000 (GMT)

Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> Hi all, it's me again.

'lo.  :-)

> Since I have my new color version of lynx, I wanted to explore what I could do
> to customize it. I've spent the last half hour or more looking for some page
> out there (or in my distribution docs) that describes what can be done by way
> of controlling the color, and found none. (Oh, lots of pages from the archive
> where color was discussed - mostly 2.4FM and earlier!) and mention that is is
> there, but nothing telling how to use it.)
>
> Is there a resource out there describing what can be done with the color on
> lynx? I recall a few discussions of it, but didn't save them since I had no
> colorized version.

For the plain slang version or the (wondrous) styles version?  ;-)  With
the plain slang, there's very little fine-grain colour customisation you
can do.  You can say that colour 1=red (which will apply to links or
something) but the plain slang version is merely a curses-style to
slang-colour translator; eg bold=>red, bold+underline=>blue, etc.

My styles patch is altogether more configurable, down to individual elements.
(class support a la CSS coming soon, full CSS support hopefully sometime
in the future)

> Also, since with slang and (presumably) ncurses, we have such coloring, can
> (and should) we consider honoring HTML color requests such as

(snip)
>  <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFF80" TEXT="#004080" LINK="#8080FF" VLINK="#800080"
>   ALINK="#FF0080">
>
> What say ye?

Yes, if I come up with a sensible mapping from the 16 ncurses colours to
the 24 bit colour schemes that are allowed.  Also assuming that I can
code something to avoid light purple on dark purple being magenta on
magenta (I read Klaus's mail before replying to this, I'm not psychic).

--
Rob Partington / address@hidden / address@hidden
;