lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ANNOUNCE: lynx2.6 chartrans

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ANNOUNCE: lynx2.6 chartrans
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 17:12:50 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>   The code is available from

>> To compile, you need to get lynx-patch-2.6ct-0.1.pch.gz, *and* either
>> of lynx-newfiles-2.6ct-0.1.zip or lynx-newfiles-2.6ct-0.1.tar.gz.
>> See the README.chartrans, which is included in the lynx-newfiles-* files
>> and also readable at the above address.
>
>A small update:
>
>I have tweaked the patch file so that it works against the latest
>Composite Patches set (with CHANGES date 11-28-96).  In other words,
>you can have the Multiple Bookmarks (which Hiram has now added to the
>CP) together with my chartrans mods.
>
>It is hopefully clear from my page which patch file to use.
>
>(I have compiled successfully with the latest CP including Mult. Bookmarks,
>but haven't tried the Bookmarks yet.  But it's right there on the Options
>Screen waiting to be enabled..)

        I have gobs of mods and enhancements to the multiple bookmark file
support, but the Unix box where I zip to preserve case-sensitivity is
dead, and probably won't be back up until next week.  I looked over the
chartrans mods, and don't think there's much overlap in modified files, so
hopefully it won't be much work to update it again next week when the
Composite is updated (I assume 8-).  I'll try to add support for building
the chartrans mods on VMS at that point, and provide that to Klaus, if I
succeed.

        Klaus, could you also provide a "replacement file" set versus
the composite, instead of just patches for the pre-existing files?  I
have zillions of versions of Lynx with one or another set of mods in
them, and I, perhaps others too, would find it easier to know all the
files are exactly the way you have them, without any undetected
patch problems.  That is, in addition to the zip and .tar.gz of the
new files, could you offer a zip and .tar.gz of "already patched"
pre-existing files?

        Note that there are a number of security problems in the
multiple bookmark file support for the raw 009 and for the version
in the Composite, so people shouldn't use that support in anonymous
or captive accounts.  I think I've dealt with all the security
problems at this point, so that won't be an issue much longer
(i.e., assuming the Unix box where I zip is fixed soon 8-).

                                Fote