lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV [Q] Howto have `most' uncompress file in ANONYMOUS lynx

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: LYNX-DEV [Q] Howto have `most' uncompress file in ANONYMOUS lynx
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 12:37:45 +0900 (JST)

In lynx.cfg I have the lines:
        SUFFIX:.arc:text/x-compressed
        VIEWER:text/x-compressed:/usr/local/.most/most %s ,
which allows me in a non-restricted lynx to hit return on a link
to, e.g., `file://localhost/test.arc', and have most uncompress
and then display the file.  (The file test.arc is a gzip compressed
file which has been renamed, leaving off the final .gz.)

Using the same lynx and most binaries, and a lynx.cfg with the same
SUFFIX and VIEWER lines, but in a _captive account_ with lynx run as
-anonymous, most cannot uncompress the file; the message in most is:
        /tmp/L34070TMP.arc failed to open.
Most will work fine as a viewer of a normal (not compressed) text
file in the same captive account.

There must be a way to get around this, but the solution is not obvious
to me.  Is there some way to name the file test.arc.gz and then have
the gzip results piped to most without lynx trying to download the file?
What would the VIEWER line have to look like?  Would I have to modify
mime.types?  How?  Any ideas greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

__Henry
;
;