lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV searching in lists

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV searching in lists
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:56:46 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>[...]
> >>    Anyway, Lynx does search "lists", so probably what you are really
> >> asking is how hard it would be search form field values, such as in a
> >> SELECT with 609 OPTIONs.
> >>
> >>    Very, very hard. :) :)
> >>

> >Would it?  When you are in a select list the input is parsed within the
> >pop-up code, right?  So it would be a matter of allowing / and then just
> >strcmp'ing through opt_ptr->name's to find the pointer to emulate a select
> >on.
> >

> Searching the OPTION values after a SELECT popup has been created is
> functionally different from a global document search.

True, but that was what I was thinking.  Just an easier way to hit the
select you want.  Like VT in a <select> of states--Waaaaay at the bottom.

>       The most important thing to grasp here, again, is that Lynx
> is an HTML browser, not a file viewer.

Hmm.  I hope you weren't thinking that because of my comment about a
select search.  I only mentioned it because they seem to be a hot topic of
frustration for visually challanged people.  If they could do a search it
might make it less painful.  Then again, search does work for radio button
text so if the focus is to ba able to alter selects to buttons then you
are all set.

Believe me, after playing around with Lynx within the constraints of the
DOS environment, I KNOW Lynx is is not the be all/do all file viewer.  ;-)

Speaking of the select/button issue.  My mind is drawing a blank here, but
don't some select menus allow you to choose multiple items?

Wayne.

;
;