lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ and lynx manual

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ and lynx manual
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 07:24:58 -0500 (EST)

Joe Kincaid <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Scott McGee wrote:
>
>> The first thing I did towards making a Lynx FAQ is hack a simple little HTML
>> file to put the questions and answers in as I found them. I have sorted out
>> a couple of relavant posts, but not put together anything yet. You can view
>> the proto faq html code at http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/lynxfaq.html. I
>> would appreciate any feedback on this.
>
>It's a good start, but it strikes me that your categories are too broad. :-)
>I would suggest a front page listing various components of lynx or components
>that lynx interacts with ("the lynx screen", "the lynx keyboard", "using lynx
>on VMS", "bookmark files", etc). Items that fit in two categories ("the lynx
>keyboard under VMS when viewing a bookmark file") would be linked to from
>menus under each of these categories. Isn't hypertext wonderful?
>
>> How about if you and I work together on this. I'll help ferret out the stuff
>> and you can write it all up pretty, then I'll HTMLize it. Sound workable?
>
>That would be great. Perhaps I can start by being more specific in
>suggestions for the front page. I'll work on that. I'll also work on
>"chapters" for the current documentation files included with the lynx
>distribution.

        Note also that for the benefit of blind users, it should be
structured like the WWW FAQ and the Lynx Users Guide, such that the
Q:'s are indicated like a compact TOC at the top, with links to named
Anchors for the A:'s below, so the user need not plow though each
A: or other verboseness to find a link for the information being sought.
That's a serious problem with the way the Al's picks pseudo-FAQ is
structured.

                                Fote