lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV problem when page has only one input area

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem when page has only one input area
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 14:17:39 -0500 (EST)

Tom Zerucha <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>>      I got rid of the FORM-specific unwind and did set up a complete
>> unwind for all open containers on EOF.  It seems to be adequately crash
>> proof.  At least, I've been 'z'apping it left and right without any
>> crashes. :) :) :)
>
>Today's release (11/15?) still can't see the /FORM in the verisign
>enrollment form.  There may be other bad HTML besides the extra
></BLOCKQUOTE>, but I can't get past it.  I get SGML expecting </FORM>, and
>got </BLOCKQUOTE>, </FORM> assumed messages.
>
>This is in the digitalid.verisign.com section on the agreement screen.

        You're confusing two different problems with bad HTML.  The
unwind is to deal with unclosed container tags, as for tha MIT AI
form that had no </FORM> in it.

        The verisign enrollment form has a spurious </BLOCKQUOTE> following
the <FORM ...> start tag, and the Lynx parser *must* substitute what it
is expecting, in that case </FORM>, for all container tags that have
required start and end tags.  In those cases, you must:

        (1) Submit the document to validation to identify the bad
            HTML precisely.
        (2) Convince whoever is sending that bad HTML to fix it.

If that bad HTML is not fixed, the form will continue being closed
prematurely, i.e., before all the INPUT's, most importantly the
one with TYPE="submit", have been encountered and processed.

                                Fote