lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Pipe command?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Pipe command?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:20:37 -0800

> From address@hidden Sat Nov 16 14:49:32 1996
> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:21:29 -0500
> From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)
>
> > > DOWNLOADER:Pipe to command:set %s; ONAME=%s; export ONAME;
> > >     echo; echo -n "Enter command\: "; read word; eval "$word" < "$1":FALSE
> >
> > What is the set for?  Just to get rid of the first parameter?  Also, you
> > realize that 'ONAME=%s; export ONAME' can be shortened to 'export ONAME=%s',
> > right? :)
> >

> I suspect the first set is so that the temporary name gets 'used up'
> and that ONAME can be giving the 'real' name.  Also, the 'shorter'
> export only works for Korn shell based shells.  Pre-ksh /bin/sh's don't
> accept that notation.
> --
> Larry W. Virden                 INET: address@hidden

Something like this is exactly the kind of thing that should
go into a HINTSandTRICKSfaq.

Perhaps an easy way to get this started would be for people
so simply add the word "trick: <subj>" to the subject line,
so they can be found and then grouped, from the archives,
and stuck into (appenbded to) said "faq".

;
;