lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Sun4 won't compile

From: Mike Brown
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Sun4 won't compile
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 12:59:42 -0800 (PST)

> > I'll try changing the /usr/5's to /usr/local's.  Thanks for the tip!
> Thank me if it works.

Nope, didn't work :)  __strerror is still coming up as an undefined symbol.
Actually, /usr/local/include/ on my system is empty.  I don't think gcc
2.7.2 put anything there when I installed it.

My co-sysadmin says:

  'I got the same problem in compiling sendmail. I can't think of what I
  did at the moment... I'll get back to you.  Some people have had a
  problem with BIND 4.9; it uses some routines that it expects to be
  externally defined such as strerror().  It may help to link with
  "-l44bsd" to solve this problem.'

However, linking with "-l44bsd" seems to have no effect.

I went looking for strerror.  As Fote mentioned, it is called in
WWW/Implementation/HTTCP.h.

I grepped through as many .h and lib* files as I could find on my system,
and found only one occurrence of strerror, though my methods were not
exhaustive.  strerror is defined (forgive me if I'm not using the right
terminology; I'm fuzzy on some C concepts) in the library:
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.4/2.7.2/include/string.h.
The line reads:
                 extern char * strerror (int);

The only other string.h on my system is /usr/include/string.h.
There is no mention of strerror in it at all.  The lines in that file are
all in this format:
                 extern char *   strchr(/* const char *s, int c */);

I'm tempted to just insert the strerror definition into there, but I'm not
sure about the (int) vs (/* */) portion.  I don't want to break anything.

Anyway, grepping through the lib source, guess where <string.h> is
#included?  Sure enough, HTTCP.h, and also in LYStrings.h in the Lynx
source.  My intuitive powers tell me that the solution is right under my
nose, but I'm not seeing it.

Mike
;
;