lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx2-6

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx2-6
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:13:51 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Arturo Guillen wrote:
>
>> We have lynxs 2.3 BETA running for quite some time and we just upgrade to 2-6
>> is currently on an ALPHA DEC 2000 AXP; When we try to run it says:
>>
>> Configuration file Lynx_Dir:lynx.cfg is not available.
>>
>> Does anybody has any idea? We would appreciate any hint.
>
>That's funny.  I just got through replying to an almost identical problem
>on another VMS system, so I'll just include edit that reply to fit your
>case.
>
>If the logical Lynx_dir: is not defined on your system, then you'll need
>to define the lynx.cfg path in userdefs.h to be wherever you
>have the lynx.cfg located.  Alternatively, you could put a line in your
>system-wide login files (can't remember what they are on VMS) defining the
>logical Lynx_dir: to point to the directory where lynx.cfg is located.
>
>Be sure to use the new lynx.cfg included in the new distribution and make
>any changes to it as required from your old lynx.cfg as a LOT has changed
>since 2.3, and the old lynx.cfg is no longer adequate.

        More generally, it would be a good idea to read the INSTALLATION
file and the files to which it directs them, most importantly, userdefs.h
lynx.cfg, mime.types, and mailcap (PROBLEMS and lynx.com are good ones
to read too).  The Lynx_Dir logical directory is used for a number of
files, and must be set up properly for Lynx to work properly on VMS.

                                Fote