lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ftp doesn't work in lynx 2.6?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ftp doesn't work in lynx 2.6?
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:32:54 +0000 (GMT)

Paul van Niekerk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm experiencing problems with ftp URL's, see the trace file below.

> Netscape is using rftp, and works fine. Lynx is not.

Never heard of rftp.  Netscape are well known for inventing new protocols
and then calling them standards (in this case it may just be a Netscape
name for a particular mode of the FTP protocol).

>   Tx: LIST
>     Rx: 425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.

My guess is that you are the wrong side of a firewall and you need to
use FTP passive mode.  I don't know if Lynx has support for this, as I've
never needed to use it, and as some ftp servers don't support it, you
should still have a word with your firewall people.
;
;