lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Are Netscape rejecting Lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Are Netscape rejecting Lynx
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 02:30:01 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, David Woolley wrote:

> > address@hidden (David Woolley) wrote:
> > >I've tried several links to Netscape pages today, including
> > >http://www.netscape.com/,
>
> The problem turns out to be the way I disabled proxying to overcome
> particular poor performance from my ISP's proxy.  I used
>
>    http_proxy= lynx

.. or to rewrite that, for clarity (took me a minute to figure out what
that meant :) ):

   http_proxy="" lynx

Nice idea, but doesn't work to unset the environment variable that way..

Trace mode could have told you, but only if you payed close attention
to the "GET" request line.  The request gets sent to the right server,
but the request URL is missing the starting slash.  (Well that's what
I found when I just tried it, with Lynx 2.6)

> so as to not permanently change the environment variable.  The search
> engines were happy with the result but the Netscape server obviously
> wasn't.

No server *should* be happy with the request Lynx is sending in that
case...

I use

 (unset http_proxy; lynx ...)

for similar situations.

> Lynx 2.5  libwww-FM/2.14    "release" version.

 Klaus

;
;