lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Linux and curses.

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Linux and curses.
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:12:32 -0600 (CST)

[Linux specific stuff, skip if you are not interested..]

On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Duncan Hill wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding that, for reasonable interpretations of the
> > word "regular", ncurses now is the regular curses system for Linux.
> > All newer Linux versions and distributions should have it, and they
> > would have no need for another, non-ncurses, curses library.
> >
> > The reason that the "linux" entry in the Makefile exists is probably
> > to support older Linux installations which don't have ncurses but
> > only an older, now outdated, curses library.  Over time, the current
> > "linux-ncurses" should probably become just "linux", and the current
> > "linux" should become "linux-oldcurses" (or similar).
>
> Ok..I'm slowly writing a page that explains how those how know a bit
> about unix can compile it, and for those who have no knowledge can get a
> linux build of Lynx.  I may or may not go ahead with this.

Please do...

> Getting room
> is no problem..I think..hey..I work at the place I want the space, so a
> meg or two of ftp space is nothing.  Anyway, whats the vote, do we
> provide binaries for those who can't compile?

I would say, go ahead.  Especially for Linux, binaries of Lynx tend to
pop up on the popular sites anyway.  Better if they are done by someone
with an ear to lynx-dev, who knows the current state of patches etc.

I would suggest you base the binaries on 2.6+Composite-Patches (well,
maybe the C-P. after this weekend :) ), but that's up to you.
[But then, should the version string be changed ???]

> > [ more about "linux" vs. "linux-ncurses", snipped ]
> >
> > I don't know if such a restricted binary is useful for anybody who
> > can use the fuller ncurses capabilities, so I don't think modifying
> > the distributed Makefile for this purpose makes sense.
>
> Agreed.  Remind me here, if I build an a.out binary, does a subsequent
> system have to have the libraries I used?  Excuse my ignorance, but I've
> never learnt...

Since nobody who knows better has answered, let me try..
Whether libraries are dynamically or statically linked in is a
separate matter from a.out or elf.  But you can use the `ldd' command
on the binary, and it should tell you which libraries are required
dynamically at runtime.

  Klaus

;
;