lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 17:24:31 -0800

> From address@hidden Thu Nov  7 10:26:14 1996
> Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 14:01:25 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?

<snip>
>       I've been saving tilde for use as a keyboard synonym for
> GOLD, to go with the keypad PDF1 (the "traditional VTxxx GOLD key).
> I've subsequently gotten the impression that tilde is a problem
> character on MACs, but don't know if that's really true.
>
>                               Fote

No, no, no -- please, not tilde.

If you dial into a net-provider via the sun (bsd?) program TIP,
it uses TILDE as ITS escape character.

Fortunately, MAIL allows you to redefine ITS tilde-escape to
be something else -- I use "|" (thus, in responding to email,
I can include the orig message via "|m", and get into vi via
"|e".)

I suppose I could redefine TIP's escape to be something other
than tilde.  But I and you and all of us are running out of
characters.

Sometime, aren't you going to run of single-character commands,
and want to go to multiple-char commands for some things.  VI/ex had to,
and it isn't so awful -- is it?

;
;