lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV interesting note regarding lynx usage

From: Walter Skorski
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV interesting note regarding lynx usage
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:35:31 -0500 (EST)

Larry Virden writes:

> Over the course of a 3-week period (9/24 - 10/13), 208 clients accessed
> www.cas.org with a lynx client. This is just over 1% of the total. A
> rough lynx breakdown [was snipped].

If you rearrange these by version instead of frequency (forty lashes
for me for using the dreaded "V" word, but anyway), you'd see that it
averages out at or slightly below 2.4.2, which means to me that until
more people upgrade, this is the approximate level of conformance that
Web authors should be writing to, in order to satisfy the majority of
Lynx users.

Or maybe not.  Consider:  people accessing cas.org with Lynx are more
likely to be looking specifically for Lynx information; those that are
using 2.0.10 and are either happy with it or resigned to its flaws
most likely wouldn't be accessing your site, and therefore won't show
up on your list.  So, it's possible that the median upgrade level for
casual Lynx users is even lower.  I still think that this is better
than a total stab in the dark, but I'd like to see similar stats from
some more general purpose sites, like Yahoo or AltaVista.

--
.    iksrokS retlaW<>Walter Skorski    ..        address@hidden         .
 Computer Administrator, Div. of Medical Genetics, Thomas Jefferson University

;