lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx/page up-down/Mac 512Ke

From: Daniel Strychalski
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx/page up-down/Mac 512Ke
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 17:12:38 +0800 (CST)

address@hidden wrote, and Bob Izenberg (address@hidden) passed along --

>  I am helping a friend with an old Macintosh (512Ke) to explore the
  Internet using Lynx through his CompuServe account. We are pretty much
  there except we are having trouble using page up and down once we get to
  a search engine page (Lycos,Yahoo, etc.) We have option M (eMacs) turned
  on, but still having difficulty viewing all parts of the page. Is there
  anyplace or anybody that you can suggest I try for help? I realize this
  is very OLD technology (512Ke).

Not old technology. Same technology we have now, just less of it (and quite
enough for most people's needs).

Emacs keys -- Ctrl-B, Ctrl-N, Ctrl-P, and Ctrl-F -- are a good trick on the
512Ke, which doesn't have a Ctrl key. Presumably the terminal emulator
running on the Mac translates Cmd-B, etc., into the required control codes.

If I remember correctly, however, the 512Ke doesn't have a key cluster like
the VTxxx's Find/Select/whatever group or the PC AT's Home/End/etc. block.
Most people use these clusters for scrolling and paging. The 512Ke user can
check the emulator's key bindings to see what keystrokes mimic the keys in
the proper cluster (they might be Cmd- or Option-key combinations).

Another option, assuming the emulator can indeed send proper control codes,
is to disable emacs keys and enable vi keys. The 512Ke user will then be
able to use Ctrl-P (Cmd-P?) and Ctrl-N (Cmd-N?) to scroll the display.

As Al Gilman said, Tab will move off a text input field. I *think* the
512Ke has a number pad (mine's back at home), but if it doesn't or the
emulator does something strange with it, you can move the highlighting,
scroll the display (screen by screen), jump to EOF/TOF, activate anchors,
and backtrack with the plain ol' number keys atop the QWERTY block
(assuming link numbering is off and you're not on a text input field).

Dan Strychalski   address@hidden
;
;