lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Aborting transfers gracefully

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Aborting transfers gracefully
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 14:49:14 -0500 (EST)

Walter Skorski <address@hidden> wrote:
>David Combs writes:
>
>> I still say, a separate problem is a knee-jerk "^C" --
>> just like a shotgun, it needs a "safety", an "are you sure?".
>
>Agreed; many times, I've been at the end of a big download, intending
>to hit ^X to erase the default filename before typing in my own, and
>hit ^C instead.  Wham! - Ouch.
>
>Didn't Fote say that it does ask for confirmation on VMS?  (I'm so far
>behind in my mail, I hardly remember who said what on which list
>anymore.)

        Yes it was me, several times since you've been on the list. :) :)

>               If so, it might be as simple as removing a few lines of
>code from an #ifdef.

        You need to do a global search for HadVMSInterrupt and reproduce
my for-VMS code for Unix.  I just did a search and counted 14 LYfoo.c
modules and one libwww-FM module.  You can add the prompt in LYClean.c,
but need to handle the reply in indifferent ways in various modules,
and deal with the input buffer changes associated with the procedure.
How you go about it, and whether the existing code for VMS would need
changing, depends on whether a libwww upgrade, and serious use of its
select()-based threading, are on the agenda for Lynx.

                                Fote