lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Lynx hangs on FTP URLs

From: Rob Puller
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx hangs on FTP URLs
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:58:14 -0400 (EDT)

I know this group primarily discusses Lynx development, so please direct me
to the right place if I should be posting help-requests elsewhere;
otherwise, HELLLLP!

Lynx hangs when I try to connect to an FTP URL.  It connects to all other
URLs without trouble.  It completes the login to the FTP URL, then hangs
until the remote FTP server times out.  Here are the last few lines of the
exchange as reported by "trace":

    Rx: 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
HTFTP: Logged in.
  Tx: SYST
    Rx: 215 UNIX Type: L8
HTFTP: Treating as Unix server.
HTFTP: Opened master socket number 4
HTFTP: This host is 0.0.163.134
HTFTP: bound to port 1054 on 0.0.163.134
TCP: Master socket(), bind() and listen() all OK
  Tx: PORT 0,0,163,134,4,30
    Rx: 200 PORT command successful.
HTFTP: Port defined.
HTParse: aName:ftp://ftp.autodesk.com/   relatedName:
1
HTParse: result:/
HTFTP: UnEscaped /
  Tx: RETR /
    Rx: 550 /: not a plain file.
  Tx: CWD /
    Rx: 250 CWD command successful..
  Tx: LIST

I'm running Lynx V2-6 on a VAXstation II/GPX with VMS V5.4-2.  Lynx compiled
cleanly from the BUILD.COM procedure with VAXC V3.2 for SOCKETSHR V0.9-D and
NETLIB V2.0J. It operates with the CMU_OpenVMS/IP TCP/IP package also built
for SOCKETSHR/NETLIB.

A previous version (2.4FM, I think) worked on this machine, but the FTP
problem occurred when I went to V2.5.  I thought a complete build from
scratch (WWWlibrary, etc.) with V2.6 might cure the problem, but it didn't.

I did have to define LOCAL_DOMAIN in userdefs.h in order to get LYmain.c to
compile, which I thought a little strange since I am not aware of the
existance of utmp capabilities on my system.  All other references to FTP
use by anonymous users in userdefs.h were defined as TRUE.

Any pointers towards a fix will be greatly appreciated.  Also, it would be
helpful to know if anyone else has Lynx working with VAXC, SOCKETSHR, and
CMU_OpenVMS/IP.

Rob Puller          Consulting Engineer, Gainesville, Florida
<address@hidden>   http://www.afn.org/~rpuller/

;
;