lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)

From: Thanh Ma
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:33:14 -0400 (EDT)

> Thanh Ma <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> >>[...]
> >>[...]
> >> lynx2-6/WWW/Library/umaxv-m88k/Makefile.  The targets are called umaxv and
> >>[...]
> >
> >I just got 2-6update to compile and running on umaxv.
> >I did try to come up with a name. I like 'umaxv-m88k' most. gcc would
> >call it m88k-encore-sysv3.
>
>       My concern was that the target names in the top level make file
> (umaxv and umaxv-slang) are more "generic" than the subdirectory name
> (umaxv-m88k, which implies this is the start of a family of umaxv-foo
> subdirectories).  One would expect that to be the other way 'round, since
> everyone will have the directory tree break-out, whether they need it all
> or not.  Also, I was wondering if a yet more generic "sysv3" subdirectory
> name might be more appropriate.  In any case, the target name shouldn't be
> less specific than the subdirectory name.

As far as I know, under m88k, there are sysv3, svr4, bsd, etc... and there
are quite a few m88k-sysv3 dialects out there. UMAXV is one and is Encore
specific.  Are you looking at along the line of the below ?

sysv3-> m88k -> UMAXV
             -> ???
     -> intel
     -> ???

svr4 -> m88k ->
     -> intel
     -> ???

Also what is the case with apollo in the top level Makefile ?

apollo:
        cd WWW/Library/apollo_m68k; $(MAKE) LYFLAGS="$(SITE_LYDEFS)"

Thanh