lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 23:14:20 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden>
>Ok, this is a "Request for comments" on patches 8 and 9 as listed on the
>Lynx Enhanced Pages.  Have people tried them, have they caused any
>problems?  Should they be included as part of the update or just in a
>development code set?

        I sent you replacement files for the Composite Patch which
encompass the numbered Patches 6-10, plus a bunch or other enhancements.
I didn't include the mod for making the User-Agent string an environment
variable because Netscape has threatened to sue developers who do that
or make the User-Agent string permanently configureable.  What we're
already doing via the 'o'ption menu is OK, and I don't think more than
that should be in distributed code.  I still disrecommend Patch 11.

        I sent you an updated CHANGES file, but here it is for
others to see:

10-19-96
* Added definitions in LYCurses.h relating curses function calls to slang
  functions or emulations for compatibility with new versions of slang,
  based on patch from John E. Davis (address@hidden). - FM
* Added unescaping of the full address fields in mailto URLs or ACTIONs,
  and improved the reliability of the parsing of the subject header from
  the ?searchpart Netscapism when present. - FM
* Give user option to use 303-like coversion of POST to GET in confirmation
  requests for redirection of POSTs, base on patches from Drazen Kacar
  (address@hidden). - FM
* Tweaks of POST content submissions in HTTP.c, based on patch from
  KW. - FM
* Fixed EOF checks in HTAAFile.c, HTGroup.c and HTPasswd.c, and improved
  host address parsing in HTTCP.c, based on patches from Larry Schwimmer
  (address@hidden) and Klaus Weide (address@hidden). - FM
10-16-96
* Send the rendering of decompressed files to stdout with -dump, don't
  spawn a viewer under any circumstances if -dump was used instead of
  -source for Content-Types that are not text/html, and remove the
  temporary decompressed files before exiting with -dump or -source. - FM
* Properly handle TYPE="radio" versus TYPE="checkbox" INPUTs with NULL
  or zero-length VALUEs. - FM
* Added a continuation line token for the netbsd-ncurses target - HL
* Fixed a typo in HTMIME.c in the trace output - HL
* Block predictable buffer overrun in GridText.c if a page has more
  than MAXLINKS links in it. - FM
10-01-96
* Add a Mime-Version header to the other headers in LYPrint.c so that the
  09-20-96 mods for mailing source do what they were intended to do. :) -
  Hamish MacEwan (address@hidden)
09-20-96
* Add a BASE tag to the tops of HTML source files, a la Netscape, when
  mailing or downloading, and don't worry, for now, if that creates
  technically invalid HTML (since Lynx copes with it as of the 09-15-96
  mods 8-). - FM
* Include Content-Type, Content-Location and Content-Base headers when
  mailing HTML source on Unix. - FM
* Use .txt versus .html suffixes when submitting rendered versus HTML source
  temporary files to VMS MAIL, so that transports such as PMDF will indicate
  the appropriate Content-Type. - FM
09-17-96
* Handle illegally positioned BASE tags. - FM
* Tweak of Q nesting level checks. - Pawel Wiecek
  (address@hidden)
* Fixed typo in HTMIME.c for parsing of Pragma header. - Wilson Cheung
  (address@hidden)
* Added parsing of Set-Cookie header in HTMIME.c (see IETF ID
  http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/draft-ietf-http-state-mgmt-03.txt
  for info on how to implement it's use). - FM
* Fixed typo in LYMainLoop.c for display of error message when up arrow is
  pressed at the top of a document. - Hiram Lester Jr. (address@hidden)
09-16-96
* Use standard ls -l parsing of LIST output for Windows_NT ftp servers in
  Lynx v2.6 as in v2.5. - FM

--- Rename of Lynx2-5FM and release as Lynx2-6  (02-Sep-1996) ---
    (see CHANGES2-6, CHANGES2-5, CHANGES2-4 and CHANGES2-3)

                                Fote