lwip-users

[lwip-users] lwip 1.4.1 and HTTPD Server Duplicating HTTP Header Fields

From: Lee
Subject: [lwip-users] lwip 1.4.1 and HTTPD Server Duplicating HTTP Header Fields in Body
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 08:51:31 -0400

Hello,
I am new to embedded IP products and working with a Texas Instruments reference design / example and have found or made a bug.

The hardware platform is a TIVA TM4C1294 and we are using a Launchpad as a starting point for our design and I have duplicated the problem on a TM4C1294XL Launchpad.
We started with the Tivaware version: TivaWare_C_Series-2.1.1.71
This library has the lwip 1.4.1 rtos and an httpserver_raw for which I do not see a version but the files from the zip down load are dated 12/23/2015.
We started with an example project TI calls “enet_s2e” which provides a GUI on a web server which uses a combination of CSS and _javascript_o make a menu system of web pages that we have only slightly modified.

Our modifications cause the web pages to some times load with errors breaking the menu system design.  The embedded server becomes messed up and starts serving files with the HTTP header fields duplicated in the document body. When this happens to for example, the index.htm file we see text “HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\n” in the GUI.  When the error happens to the _javascript_ files the _javascript_ functions do not work and the web page navigation dependent on them fails.  A processor reset clears the problem for a wile but with continued navigation the problem returns eventually.

I observed the duplicate information with wire shark and by pressing F12 in Firefox and examining the web page and the style sheet which is also some times messed up.  As far as I can tell the original reference example design from TI never serves incorrectly.

I have made a very simple change to the TI reference design example and reproduced the error.
There is an image of microcontroller in the upper left of the web GUI and I changed just enough code so that that image was a link back to the index.htm file of the GUI.   I tried this a couple of ways and the server still becomes messed up and starts serving the files in error.  I have not found an exact and minimal way to make the server mess up but usually after < 10 or 20 clicks on a link it happens.

To duplicate the problem, I made a web page file (index.htm” with this simple content:
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<!-- Copyright (c) 2014-2015 Texas Instruments Incorporated.  All rights reserved. -->
  <head>
    <title>EK-TM4C1294XL Evaluation Kit</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=""/>
    <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href=""/>
    <script src="" language="_javascript_1.2" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script src="" language="_javascript_1.2" charset="utf-8"></script>
  </head>
  Some Text
  A link <a href="" > Click here </a>

  That is all.
  Some Text

This file also can cause the server to mess up.

I documented my efforts with wireshark files and  screen shots at the TI E2E forum as I was learning the causes of the problem. See: https://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/other/f/908/p/799725/2961889#2961889

Any ideas what I should investigate next?

Is there a simple way I can make a web server on my PC with out the embedded system where I could try to run lwip 1.4.1 and the httpd server and try to duplicate the problem or is there a better way in my embedded target to proceed?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lee Erickson
Spectrum Techniques LLC.
address@hidden