lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Help with PPP connection - modem disconnects for no obv

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Help with PPP connection - modem disconnects for no obvious reason...
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 18:48:29 +0100

Hi Patrick,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 01:20:02PM -0400, Patrick Klos wrote:

> For whatever reason, you're not responding to the CHAP challenges.
>
> Are you dialing into an ISP (which would require authentication) or into
> another system configured to be a "server"?  Either way, the peer is
> expecting you to have a username and password of some kind, but you're not
> responding to their challenges.

Well, that's just PPP to a cellular modem, PPP link is only between the
device and the cellular modem to de/serialize IP packets on a serial
link. That's why authentication is never required, cellular modems
usually add some kind of fake authentication to support PPP clients
where authentication can't be disabled.

> Also, what version of LwIP are you using?  I can't find some of these debug
> strings (like "CHAP Challenge") in my (2.1.2) sources. And are you sure all
> your modules were compiled with PPP_DEBUG defined as non-zero?

"CHAP Challenge" is from "CHAP" from chap_protent and "Challenge" from
chap_code_names[].

Debugging seem pretty well enabled, for once in a while I have no clue
what is wrong here, usually it's straightforward from the trace but here
it really isn't.

Sylvain