lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Throughput benchmark question - nasty ~1.5 second pause

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Throughput benchmark question - nasty ~1.5 second pauses
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 11:57:10 -0300

OK, I'll try to be more precise.
ST driver code wasn't properly handling receive interrupts from the
Ethernet controller. They just took the first frame in the buffer
without thinking more could have arrived since the interrupt fired.
Those frames remained there sleeping until a new one arrived, causing
delays and frame loss.
This is supposed to have been fixed, but from time to time I see people
telling the story that revision X for hw A has the problem that was
fixed in revision W for hw B, so...

I would first analyze a traffic capture to determine the reason for the
low throughput, there can be delays, lost frames; you could have a
broken driver, a broken port, a broken application...
You should use a known-to-work application (one of those in the apps
directory or in the contrib tree, I used a netio long ago and I guess
there is an iperf there now) so you can rule that out and check for
driver/port issues.
Most people use Wireshark, pcap or pcapng is OK. Post a link if possible.

Cheers