lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Graceful shutdown

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Graceful shutdown
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 09:48:14 +0100

Am 18.01.2019 um 23:19 schrieb Ben Schwartz:
Hi lwIP,

According to a message from a long time ago [1], there's no way to perform a graceful shutdown of an lwIP instance.  Is that still true?

Yes, that's still true.

However, by now I have changed my mind. There are more and more people using lwIP outside its original target - small microcontrollers. In small microcontrollers, it made sense to not support shutdown. However, I think by now it might be worth a try to implement such a shutdown, as
long as it doesn't grow size for small microcontroller usage.

Regards,
Simon

For context, I'm currently working with an executable that, on startup, calls lwip_init(), netif_set_up(), netif_set_link_up(), netif_set_default(), tcp_bind_to_netif(), tcp_bind_netif(), tcp_listen(), and tcp_accept().  On completion, the process terminates without unwinding any of these steps.  I'm trying to convert this executable into a library that could be started, stopped, and started again.

Is there a recommended pattern for stopping and restarting lwIP?

Thanks,
Ben Schwartz

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lwip-users/2010-03/msg00210.html