lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Amazing !

From: Ivan Warren
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Amazing !
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 23:45:00 +0100

Le 11/15/2018 à 11:06 PM, address@hidden a écrit :
On 15.11.2018 22:57, Ivan Warren wrote:
[..]
The fact it is a BIG Endian system made it a little bit of a chalenge !

What were the challenges here? As there are not many big endian architectures left, please help us to stay endianess-compatible!

gcc (which is the compiler I use) knows how to report endianess.. The fact you have to declare endianess explicitly in the port's cc.h is a little bit counter intuitive (meaning you wind up dwelling into lwip core internals to figure out you missed it !)

I'm pretty sure gcc, llvm/clang or msvc (in a cross compiling situation) do provide a mean to determine at compile time the endianness of the target (so it doesn't need to be explicitly stated in cc.h)

Granted, I may be in a borderline case... But I'll provide patches that may help make endianess a non-issue whenever I can !

I have to say the documentation for LWIP is somewhat confusing in some
aspects and requires a bit of guessing around...

And that is exactly where you should help us. We know the system and it's not confusing to us. I may not be confusing to you after some weeks. If you know what to improve, please share patches that improve documentation!

One of the problem I ran into was that "input" and "output" tend to be switched - based o whether you are on the "application" side or the "network interface" side - and because some interface/functions lie in the middle, it's hard to tell which way things are going !

Of course, now, after a couple of weeks of fiddling with the system, I'm starting to get the hang of it, but there are still some confusions ! (but maybe it's me)

Anyway, if along the way I find a better "wording" of an inlined documentation, I'll make a proposal !

--Ivan