lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Download a file for firmware upgrade

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Download a file for firmware upgrade
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 09:26:08 -0300

You can do whatever you want.
The question is probably not what can you do but what do you have
available to obtain what you need with lesser effort.
There are FTP clients around, I've collaborated in one of them using the
RAW API, search the list.
FTP is sometimes tricky and can give you some headaches with firewalls
(and/or admins).
For HTTP you need a client. I wouldn't just GET and hope everything is
fine unless I can manage both ends (that means: the server too) and
guarantee there won't be other stuff than my file. A HTTP client can be
quite complicated, but you just need to get one resource at a specific URI
You can even have a proprietary protocol running over TCP or UDP. If
your device will be sold and installed on corporate networks, you might
raise some concern among the net admins, asking to have open holes in
the firewall does not seem to be a good way to make friends.

My bet is to go for the user to upload the file, leveraging your web
server; but if you must go out and get it, then perhaps FTP is the
easiest full client and HTTP is the simplest firewall piercing. I don't
know if there are running clients around. Particularly for your API,
which you don't say. (I'm intentionally not considering TFTP for going
out because of the possible firewall issue, but if it is your network,
there is a client already available)