lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Slow HTTP put request

From: jochen
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Slow HTTP put request
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 11:41:11 +0200

You should capture the traffic on your customer premises to make sure
this is what's happening. I'm curious to know.

Below is the trace of our customer. I think if you look at packets around no 2552 for example it shows the same behavior as curl in my understanding. Labview is waiting with a 1 sec timeout for the server reply to expect/continue which does not happen and then continues to send the 1 byte payload. This slows down the PUT dramatically.

My server has also implemented POST and here the payload is received without any delay (packets around no 2540). It seems there is no additional "expect/continue handshake" implemented?

I found an article (link below) regarding labview && POST and as I understand using POST this "handshake" is only done if the message is greater than 1024. For PUT there is no such limit ?

I see the following solution:
- server sends reply to expect/continue and then... well, frankly don't know exactly what happens then and how much overhead this means - force labview to "HTTP 1.0" w/o expect/continue ... if this is possible ? - implement an "application specific protocol" in labview as suggested in the article below ? - use POST instead of PUT for my "TWI write" function in order to speed up transfers below 1024 bytes ?

Let me know if this thread is getting off-topic.

Links:
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019LuWSAU