lwip-users

[lwip-users] video transfer using lwIP

From: MOd
Subject: [lwip-users] video transfer using lwIP
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:55:18 +0000

hello,

I am new to this mailing list and haven't used lwIP before. I hope you can get me some advice for my project.

I ran the httpserver_raw demo for lwIP on my Zynq SoC. I'd like to transfer video data from my FPGA to the PC @ 1GbE, point-2-point, single client, bare metal. I'd also like to send some simple control commands from PC to SoC on this link.
The source is a video stream but transmitting single images to PC and storing them would be sufficient. Essentially I want to use it for verification of the embedded system.

I couldn't find a typically approach to do this, there are probably several.

I am planning on scripting a server-client transmission entirely on PC with python to develop my client software. There are many examples available.
Then I start moving server functionality to SoC, commands are transmitted in HTTP POST's. From the PC I'll also request the image transfer this way.

httpserver_raw uses simple instructions in the format POST + "cmd" + "<instruction_name>". I researched and found out that I can do the same using my frame buffer instead of a file system.

One thing I could not find out is if I need to take care about packet sizes or not. Can I send any size in one tcp_send() or do I need to split it to fit MTU?

Are there existing applications I should use or should I make my own software?

Also any tipps or advice would be appreciated.

thank you,

Markus