lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Help with LwIP Modem

From: Jeff Barlow
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Help with LwIP Modem
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 13:30:19 -0700

On 07/09/2016 12:10 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Jeff Barlow wrote:
I think you will find that ChibiOS does much the same. The reasoning
as I understand it is to keep ISR code paths as short as possible to
minimize latency in hard real time systems.

Without knowing ChibiOS in detail, I'd be interested in knowing what
would be the actual penalty of removing the need for the API user to
supply the "bool inIsr"...

I don't claim to be an expert on ChibiOS in particular. It seems fairly obvious to me though that inserting extra code in the ISR path that inspect some globals only to figure out that it is indeed in an ISR will have an adverse effect on latency. ChibiOS is very tightly tuned to minimize latency. For some of us this makes the difference between a working system and one that almost works.

--
Later,
Jeff