lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Ethernet package through SPI interface

From: Noam Weissman
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Ethernet package through SPI interface
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 13:19:13 +0000

Simon,

Sorry to jump in. I think what you wrote needs some clarification to those that
do not understand it in full.

In a normal Ethernet connection we have the ETH connector from one side and the
micro or TCP stack on the other side.

>From the ETH connector it is connected to a transformer, normally referred to
>as the "magnetics", from
the magnetics it is connected to the ETH PHY or ETH switch with a PHY
interface, from the PHY or switch it is connected
to the micro via RMII/MII Interface.

It may be connected differently if you have a none standard PHY or some other
interface.

The ETH PHY is connected from one side to the magnetics and from the other side
it has a MAC interface.
The interface is either via RMII/MII while control of the PHY is via MDIO/SIO
etc...

At the micro side normally the MAC interface has DMA and MDIO.

The ETH driver on the micro side handles the setting of the MAC interface /
settings (speed, duplex etc...)

All the above is not related to MAC address but rather the interface only.

LwIP or any other TCP stack need to read/or data to/from the MAC interface.
This is the hardware driver that connects
the LwIP with the hardware.

If one wants to run LwIP over RS232, SPI or any other interface it simply needs
to write the driver that gives LwIP the
ability to read/write data to/from that interface.

If one connects LwIP to SPI (for example) as the interface the MAC interface is
NOT used. There is a need for a driver for
SPI to LwIP (data read/wright) and a driver or some code to initialize the SPI.

For example:  http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/ksz8851snl_ds.pdf

The above link is for a microchip PHY that has an SPI interface rather than the
common ETH MAC interface.

As one can see that from one side it has an SPI interface and from the other
side it has 4 differential lines to be connected
to the ETH magnetics.

I hope now it is clear :-)

BR,
Noam.