lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP PPP - When connecting, int sifup(ppp_pcb *pcb) is

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP PPP - When connecting, int sifup(ppp_pcb *pcb) is called multiple times
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:49:35 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 11:42:14PM +0300, Gennady Shmakov wrote:
> I would agree with Sylvain.
> If we introduce something that will make lwip drop packets and let higher
> protocols to handle that then it might be ok with TCP, but with UDP and
> such it will not.
> My point here is that solution needs to be in driver code or maybe in some
> configuration of lwip to handle slower hardware.

Yes, UDP is even worse, there is no callback to tell you when a UDP
packet is sent so there is no clean way in user code to only have one
(or two) pbuf at a time allocated in the stack to do a I/O bound UDP
flow on a slow netif.

I've been thinking about this issue for the last three months and I
couln't find anothing appropriate to handle multiple and unbalanced (one
fast and one slow) netif in lwIP without adding queueing disciplines.

Maybe the recently proposed scheduling disciplines by Russ Dill is the
proper way :-)

Sylvain