lwip-users

[lwip-users] Opinions on using lwIP for making application GPRS-chipset-

From: Ajay Garg
Subject: [lwip-users] Opinions on using lwIP for making application GPRS-chipset-agnostic
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 14:52:57 +0530

Hi All.

We have a scenario, wherein we are developing application to be run in an embedded-scenario.
This application can be flashed on any umpteen number of micro-controllers.

This application talks to external-internet-world by interfacing through GPRS-chipsets.

These chipsets may or may-not contain embedded TCP/IP stacks within them.
Worse, even if some of them do, each of those chipsets is likely to have a non-standardised set of "extended AT commands" for TCP connection setup/methods.
This would mean that we would have to compile different versions of our application for different chipsets.

So, we were wondering if we could use lwIP to integrate the TCP/IP stack within our application, and use standard "Hayes AT commands" to talk to GPRS-chipsets (both that contain and those that do-not-contain embedded TCP/IP stacks).

Does our approach make sense? In particular, will this make our application chipset-agnostic (as far as TCP/IP connectivity is concerned)?
(Note that I haven't delved much into lwIP's code as of now, just wanted to confirm if our requirement is sensible in the lwIP-ecosystem).

We will be highly grateful for listening from you experts :) :)

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay