lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Networking device discovery protocols

From: Noam Weissman
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Networking device discovery protocols
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:55:41 +0300

Hi,

First of all they do not need to type port number as default is 80 for
HTTP, unless you use
a private port at your WEB server.

As for discovery it depends what you want to achieve. If it is only and
always local network
you can run a simple UDP server that listens on a specific port for a
special packet
(you need to define that).

Once you defined the protocol and have the server part running at your
embedded side,
you should run some application (PC app etc...) that sends a discovery
request. This discovery
message is the define packet sent via broadcast to your embedded. The
embedded side will
receive this packet and response to the client with any data you may
need.

If the device is behind a router or on a company network broadcast is
not sufficient as broadcast
Will work only on the subnet. In that case you will need to send a
multicast message.

If you multicast a message you will have to enable the IGMP module in
your lwipopts.h, add
The IGMP module and in your UDP listening server you will have to join
the multicast group.

Some discovery protocols are bonjour defined by Apple, SDDP defined by
Control4 and others.

Read some info on the above and if you need more information ask and
I'll try to answer.

BR,
Noam.