lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Interfacing LwIP for a radio communication

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Interfacing LwIP for a radio communication
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 17:53:52 -0300

Something is not clear to me here...
"PPPoS" might be confused with PPP over SONET/SDH
You guys are talking about plain old PPP, RFC-1661, Point-to-Point
Protocol, which (by definition) works over any point-to-point link, as
long as it is full-duplex and can carry bytes (octets). I guess
"point-to-point" and "peer-to-peer" can be considered equivalent in this
aspect. So...
Please forgive my ignorance, I don't know what a SwMi is (even less a
centralized one) ;^)
PPP runs on telephone modems and serial ports, although, as Sylvain
cleverly points out, SLIP will have way less overhead, both in bandwidth
and code size.
Perhaps confusion comes from the way cell modems capture PPP by
"dialing" a fake number ? Or because of authentication with PAP/CHAP ?
As long as the two end points can see each other, you can establish a
PPP link or a SLIP link. You don't need to "dial" or "login" to have PPP
working. Authentication is not mandatory, you can bypass it.
Regards