lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] question about using master/head instead of 1.4.1

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] question about using master/head instead of 1.4.1
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:41:26 +0200

Wendel Assis wrote:
Please, could you share what could we expect in terms of new features for 1.5.0?

Have a look at http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lwip.git/tree/CHANGELOG , I've just updated it to show the differences between 1.4.1 and git master. This got messed up because 1.4.1 and the future 1.5.0 tree got developed in parallel starting from 1.4.0, so 1.4.1 never really was part of the current 1.5.0 tree.

Summing it up, aside from IPv6, a major change to the PPP code and support for TCP windows scaling, there's not much new in it. There are however many bugs fixed, which is why I strongly encourage to use that tree instead of 1.4.1. There will not be any (official) bug fix releases for the 1.4.x tree!

As I mentioned before, I saw a lot of commits related to ipv6 and ppp, but I'm not sure what are the new features as in 1.4.1 they seem to be available as well (or at least some part of them).

Even though there were some IPv6 files before, IPv6 was *not* really usable until re-developed by Ivan. To sum it up, 1.5.0 will be the first version of lwIP to really support IPv6. The PPP code has gone through a major rework by Sylvain. I'm not at all too familiar with PPP, but as the old code wasn't really maintained, and Sylvain is excellent in solving things that don't yet work with the updated PPP code, using the old PPP code now doesn't seem like a good idea... :-)

Simon