lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] multiple timers.c in project

From: Gavin Lambert
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] multiple timers.c in project
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:59:38 +1200

On 22 July 2014, quoth Simon Goldschmidt:
> I just don't get why there are still compiler environments that cannot
> handle multiple files with same filenames. I recently heard someone
> invented directories to solve issues like this... :-)

There are two different (but related) things that could lead to object
collision:

1. Having the object files output to the same folder.

This is readily solved by simply changing the output folders.

2. Having the object files linked into the same static library.

This occurs because the object filename is stored without path in the static
library format.  The only real solution to it is to put the files into
separate static libraries, which can occasionally be inconvenient,
particularly when that would create circular references.  There are usually
ways to work around that, however.

It shouldn't bother the linker at all to get files with the same name from
explicit arguments and one or more static libraries; this is fairly common
in fact.

So provided that lwIP and FreeRTOS or whatever else might be conflicting
with them are linked into separate static libraries (typically separate
projects) then the problems should go away.

(I recognise that my use of the verb "link" might be confusing above, as
static libraries are created without the aid of a linker.  But most of the
alternatives sounded worse.)