lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Ethernet link state: needed ?

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Ethernet link state: needed ?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:15:48 -0400

> My question to the lwIP users: does anyone have the need to know the link
state ? Can you share why ?

I do, for 2 reasons.

One: We have a panel LED for link/no link/connected to PC state.  Often the
user can't see the jack or switch.  Gets the 2 basic connectivity questions
answered quickly.

Two: On loss of link we reset/abort the connection and delay to force the PC
to see no activity.  Our system is real time and we don't want link glitches
to cause pauses that don't close the connection but effect the program's
operation causing "bug reports".  We'd rather have a fatal disconnect error.

Bill