lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Which PPP implementation should be used? PPP-new or PPP

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Which PPP implementation should be used? PPP-new or PPP from the master branch
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 23:03:36 +0200

Hello Charles,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 08:17:59PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:

> Thanks, Sylvain. I think the answer is quite obvious now: ppp-new is
> the way to go since it has you and the community's support.
>
> I couldn't find a complete example code of using ppp-new's PPP
> implementation.
>
> Especially an example at application layer shows how to specify IP
> address for a PPP interface, etc.

This is kind of unusual, since our PPP stack only supports PPP client
the IP address is usually given by the server. If you really need this
we can add macro to set the necessary field in the PPP
neg-configuration.

> Could you quickly sketch a code snippet for PPP application layer?

It mostly depends on which lower level protocol you wish to use, PPPoS,
PPPoE or PPPoL2TP, I am sure I already provided hints on this list which
should be on the list archive.

Anyway, this isn't hard, the API is fully documented in headers and
should be explanatory enough to give you the way to proceed.

If you really need an example, you can checkout the ppp-new branch of
the contrib Git repository, it contains my quick'n'dirty source code I
use to test the ppp-new branch in "lwip-contrib/ports/unix/proj/minimal".

Sylvain