lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] IPv6 porting, need help in netif->mld_mac_filter

From: Zach Smith
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] IPv6 porting, need help in netif->mld_mac_filter
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:03:37 +0000

Manoj,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. You don't want to change your MAC address. Set your MAC
address to your required address (38:60:77:4f:84:86) and leave it. But your
actual hardware needs to be configured to receive multicast packets. I don't
know what hardware you are using but usually they can be configured to
automatically filter certain types of Ethernet packets. You might have it set
to filter out multicast packets which may be why it is not working.

For example, I am using a STM32F2xx ARM processor. It has an integrated Media
Access Controller (MAC) and I am using an external PHY. For IP4, you have to
set up the MAC to receive broadcast frames because IP4 uses ARP for address
resolution and ARP uses broadcast addressing. With just IP4 you don't
necessarily need to receive multicast addresses so you can configure the MAC to
filter those packets out so software doesn't have to deal with them.  But IP6
uses multicast addressing to do the address resolution so you need to enable
multicast reception in your MAC controller so they are not filtered out.

Like Ivan said though, in large networks that can be a lot of packets you are
letting through. So another option is to set up your MAC controller to only
receive packets destined for certain addresses. So in your case it might be
enough to just make sure your MAC controller is receiving packets for your own
MAC (38:60:77:4f:84:86); The all nodes MAC(33:33:00:00:00:01), and your
"solicited node address" (33:33:ff:4f:84:86).  And of course broadcast
(ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) for IP4 stuff.

-Zach